Version 0.9.3 Branch

Official announcements can be found here.

Re: Version 0.9.3 Branch

Postby Toth » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:13 am

Every changelog that i read let me more excited to start working with Axel
Toth
Private

Postby Arkeus » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:54 am

Just as an update, I've gotten most of what I want into 0.9.3. Hopefully by this weekend, I'll get all the remaining bug fixes in, and upload 0.9.3 r1. I'm not finalizing it yet, since there's still a few things missing, but I'm hoping to get all the new changes out sooner rather than later. I'll also be changing the download page to include a link to the beta build, and promote that as the recommended version (I'll also be updating the docs for the current 0.9.3 build at this point). If there's any small changes you think should get put in last minute, now's the chance to speak up. The last big thing I think I'm missing that I wanted in was AxTextureAtlas, but that might get moved to 0.9.4. One of the big reasons for the slowness in development is that I started rewriting the basics for a game I had in Flixel as a way for me to test 0.9.3 changes, but then it turned into me turning it into the full game that I never got around to making before... So I've been working on that game, and implemented the new 0.9.3 features as needed.

ANYWAY, here's the latest updated changelog (the one I upload this weekend will probably just have bug fixes in addition to these changes):

## 0.9.3 r1 / 2012-??-??
* Entities now have a simple parenting system. When adding to groups, its parent will be set and position based off of the parent
* To support parenting, entities now have setParent and removeParent functionality (note: collision does not support parent offsets yet)
* Positions on entities with parents are now relative to the parent, to support this, globalX and globalY setters have been added to AxEntity
* When the game loses focus it now switched to a default pause screen. This can be changed via Ax.pauseState
* You can now define a callback for animations that is called when (and every time) the animation completes
* AxClouds now update their position based on acceleration, velocity, and drag, affecting all children positions
* Simple animation set has been added to AxSprite, accessible via addEffect() and clearEffects()
* AxSprites now implement the following effects:
** sprite.startFlicker() and sprite.stopFlicker()
** sprite.fadeIn() and sprite.fadeOut()
** sprite.grow() for scaling up and down over time
* AxClouds now have freeze() and unfreeze() methods to alias settings actions to NONE and ALL, respectively
* AxClouds and AxGroups now have a clear() method that will clear the group of all members, optionally disposing them
* AxEntitys now have a revive() function that mirrors the destroy() functionality by setting exists to true
* AxParallaxSprite is a new type of sprite that repeats itself as it scrolls with the camera, useful for parallax backgrounds
* You can now set the blend mode of AxSprites, AxTexts, and AxClouds using the blend property
* All entities now have an addTimer functionality for creating events that are delayed, or events that repeat every X seconds
* You can now set the scroll on an AxGroup and have it affect all entities current and future (with some caveats, see documentation)
* Added helper functions noScroll() to AxGroup and AxModel to cover the common use case of setting scroll.x and scroll.y to 0
* AxStates now include an onPause() and onResume() that fire when they lose/gain focus from adding/popping states
* AxEntity now have a stop() function that sets horizontal, vertical, and angular components of velocity to 0
* When setting a color using @[] notation in AxText, you can use html codes as rrggbb or aarrggbb (eg. @[ff0000] instead of @[255,0,0] for red)
* You can now pass a vertical offset for the label when calling text() on an AxButton
* You can now set the offset property of the camera to offset the camera by a fixed amount
* The camera now has the following effects available:
** Ax.camera.shake - shakes the camera
** Ax.camera.fade/fadeOut/fadeIn - fades the camera in/out to a color
* AxGroup constructor no longer takes a width and height
* The debugger menu now displays the size of the state stack in brackets on the bottom right
* Fixed an issue with AxSprite when you do not load a resource
* Fixed an issue where the center of sprites was not being updated if you moved manually rather than using velocity
* Fixed an issue where screen coordinates were incorrect at non-default scroll values
* Fixed incorrect positions of AxText objects with scale != 1 when alignment was "center" or "right"
* Fixed an issue with AxText not properly getting width and height set
* Fixed an issue where the screen coordinates of the mouse weren't correctly taking into account the zoom level
* Fixed an issue where releaseAll on an input would cause everything to be justReleased rather than resetting the input
* Fixed an AxText width issue where the width is equal to the greatest width since creation
Arkeus
Site Admin

Postby Arkeus » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:03 am

I've pushed all the latest 0.9.3 changes to the beta branch. I've also added easier download links for the beta branch to the downloads page, and updated the documentation to be documentation based on 0.9.3 r1. If you're seeing the old documentation, try opening in incognito mode (or your browser's equivalent private browsing mode), since frame caching can be wonky even with forced refreshes (or clear your cache, etc).

Please let me know if you have any issues!
Arkeus
Site Admin

Postby freddymx » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:51 am

Maybe a stop() in AxSound could be usefull.
freddymx
Corporal

Postby Arkeus » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:21 pm

freddymx wrote:Maybe a stop() in AxSound could be usefull.

Yeah, complete agree that this is something that is necessary. Hopefully I can get it in 0.9.3 (0.9.4 is when I plan to greatly improve the sound/music system, because it's definitely lacking right now).
Arkeus
Site Admin

Postby Merkoth » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:12 am

Hi! Any chances of seeing Ax.showBounds working again? It'd be really useful :)

Ps. Thanks for the great lib!
Merkoth
Private

Postby Arkeus » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:03 pm

Merkoth wrote:Hi! Any chances of seeing Ax.showBounds working again? It'd be really useful :)

Ps. Thanks for the great lib!

Yeah, it's something I really want to do. But it's one of those things that I haven't found the right solution for, so I keep pushing back. But I definitely want it back in as soon as possible. :)
Arkeus
Site Admin

Postby Bennett » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:11 pm

Axel seems really cool, and I'm trying to port a Flixel project over right now. It's super hard to get it set up though! It doesn't work with Flash Builder 4.7 (which forces you to use the AIR SDK rather than the Flex one) and it doesn't work with the Flex SDK 4.9 (newest one). Anyway I got it sorted, I just thought I'd give some feedback.
Bennett

Postby Arkeus » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:16 pm

I've just pushed the latest changes to the beta branch.

I think from here on I'm just going to push changes to the beta branch as I finish them, rather than doing them in releases. Releases would be grouped by when the changes are merged into master.

Bennett wrote:Axel seems really cool, and I'm trying to port a Flixel project over right now. It's super hard to get it set up though! It doesn't work with Flash Builder 4.7 (which forces you to use the AIR SDK rather than the Flex one) and it doesn't work with the Flex SDK 4.9 (newest one). Anyway I got it sorted, I just thought I'd give some feedback.

Going to try to get my hands on the latest flash builder (and flex) "soon" to try to sort these issues out.
Arkeus
Site Admin

Postby Arkeus » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:57 pm

New feature in beta: Segmented tilemaps. When you create a tilemap, it will segment it into screen-sized segments and only draw the visible ones. The upside of this is you can create very large maps now, which wasn't possible before. Not that loading maps can take awhile though if you're creating huge 500x500 maps. Runtime performance should stay pretty much constant even with very very large maps, though.
Arkeus
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements