Dragon Ball Z Devolution

Working on a game using Axel? Post your status, screenshots, and progress here!

Dragon Ball Z Devolution

Postby Ats » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:46 pm

Hi everyone.

Recently I decided to port my "Dragon Ball Z Devolution" game to AS3:
http://www.txori.com/index.php?static5/dbzdevolution
(I recommend you to click on the Dragon Ball in the title during the disclaimer, just after the loading, for unlocking everything)

I've entirely made it with Flash8 and I think I pushed the old actionscript to his limits. While the game is working perfectly, there are several things that I would like to improve such as particles and camera behaviours. Plus, Flash8 is kind of dead now... So after some research, I decided to rewrite it using AXEL.

As I'm discovering this great framework, I'll have some questions for you when I'll stumble on difficulties while advancing in the development.

My first interogation is concerning the camera. If you try the game , you'll see that the camera keeps zooming to the action. I made that by putting all the sprites into a GameContainer clip which I'm scaling depending on the opponents' distance.

Now how can I recreate that kind of camera using AXEL?
I already played with the Ax.zoom but the zoom jumps from x2 to x3 to x4 abruptly, and it is also affecting the user interface on top of the screen... So in order to make a good start, what should I do to handle the camera zoom under AXEL in order to recreate what I've made with clip and scale?

Thanks for your advices!
Ats
Master Sergeant

Re: Dragon Ball Z Devolution

Postby Arkeus » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:36 pm

The current version looks great. Quite fun.

In terms of your question, check out this reply:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=207&p=711&hilit=zoom#p711

Changing that, and setting "zooms" to false for your UI might get you started in the right direction for dynamic zooming.
Arkeus
Site Admin

Postby Ats » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:02 am

Thanks for your quick response. I got rid of the Math.ceil for Ax.worldZoom and it works.
As I only have an image for the background and some sprites in the foreground, I won't have tiles problems.

But the rendering is not that good... Maybe it's because it is in software mode (don't know why). I'm working on linux with the latest Flash 11.2 Debugger. Maybe it comes from my old mini Dell 9 computer. I'll try on my Windows computer before choosing if I'm using your camera, or stick with the scale technique and use the camera for shakes and effects only.

Edit:
Turns out it came from my nettop. The game is rendering in hardware mode on my other computer, but there is not any significant improvement of the flickering :(

Edit 2:
After more tests within the game itself, it's not that bad. Testing in the environment is the best! But it leads to my next question:
When the zoom > x2 and the two fighters are on the right of the arena, the background has his coordinates of origins (top-left) to far from the viewport, so the background disapears. I'm quite sure it has to do with the distance clipping. Is there a way to avoid that?
Ats
Master Sergeant

Postby Arkeus » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:25 pm

Ats wrote:Thanks for your quick response. I got rid of the Math.ceil for Ax.worldZoom and it works.
As I only have an image for the background and some sprites in the foreground, I won't have tiles problems.

But the rendering is not that good... Maybe it's because it is in software mode (don't know why). I'm working on linux with the latest Flash 11.2 Debugger. Maybe it comes from my old mini Dell 9 computer. I'll try on my Windows computer before choosing if I'm using your camera, or stick with the scale technique and use the camera for shakes and effects only.

Edit:
Turns out it came from my nettop. The game is rendering in hardware mode on my other computer, but there is not any significant improvement of the flickering :(

Edit 2:
After more tests within the game itself, it's not that bad. Testing in the environment is the best! But it leads to my next question:
When the zoom > x2 and the two fighters are on the right of the arena, the background has his coordinates of origins (top-left) to far from the viewport, so the background disapears. I'm quite sure it has to do with the distance clipping. Is there a way to avoid that?

Edit 2 sounds like the bug where zoom isn't taken into account for the bounds check in draw().

Try checking out line 393 of AxSprite.as, and remove the 4 conditions regarding screen.x and screen.y. Or make them only apply at certain zoom levels if you have a lot of things off screen (though I think removing them should be completely fine in your case).
Arkeus
Site Admin

Postby Ats » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:41 pm

I didn't saw your response. Thanks, it's working very nicely now.
I hope I won't have to hack the framework like that all along my project, otherwise the next axel update will be a bit hard :D
Ats
Master Sergeant

Postby judesanchez » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:55 pm

I love how it works.
"Silence is the ultimate weapons of power."
judesanchez
Private

Postby Ats » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:02 pm

Thanks!
I'm moving it to AS3/AXEL in order to be able to easily add more special powers per fighters afterwards. So I'm working a lot on the logic and I'm advancing little right now... But it's taking shape ;)
Ats
Master Sergeant

Postby jessicasmith » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:40 am

Dragon Ball Z Devolution

what does it means????
Our Actual Exams and Pass4sure exam provide you 100% pass guarantee. You can get access to EXIN and The Johns Hopkins University with multiple prep resources of wikipedia
jessicasmith
Private

Postby suyashmshephertz » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:27 am

Wow!! I really likes this game. Its awesome.
Graphics are good
suyashmshephertz
Private

Postby Ats » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:48 pm

Thanks! I've just release a new version with 99 new characters, 18 new stages and stuff. That's why I wasn't working on the Axel port since months...
Now back to AS3!
Ats
Master Sergeant

Next

Return to Work In Progress