Dragon Ball Z Devolution

Working on a game using Axel? Post your status, screenshots, and progress here!

Re: Dragon Ball Z Devolution

Postby Ats » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:48 am

Hi everyone,
I started to add the fireballs and collision groups. Before going too far, I have a question about efficiency.

Right now, I have one group with the two fighters, and another one with all their fireballs (30 fireballs max at the same time).
For that, is it better to test the collision for each fireball, or to use AxCollider to create an AxCollisionGroup?

Here are the different collisions I would like to test :
  • Fighter 1 VS Fighter 2
  • Fighter 1 VS Fireballs of Fighter 2
  • Fighter 2 VS Fireballs of Fighter 1
  • Fireballs of fighter 1 VS Fireballs of fighter 2
And optionally, but I have to test it to see if it is cool and playable in case fireballs are gettind deflected.:
  • Fighter 1 VS his own fireballs
  • Fighter 2 VS his own fireballs

So are my two groups OK? Or do I have to create four groups for the two fighters and their fireballs?
Thanks for your advices ;)
Ats
Master Sergeant

Postby Arkeus » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:19 pm

Because of how expensive collision is, normally you want to lower the amount of calls you make, at the expense of adding logic elsewhere.

Since it sounds like really anything can collide with anything, I'd wrap your groups into an "entities" group, and collide that against itself. That means everything would collide against everything. Then in the callback, add logic to figure out what happened. You can easily check WHAT collided by testing if something is a fighter or a fireball. Then, what I normally do, is have some kind of variable (I use "faction" and have it set to either Faction.ENEMY or Faction.PLAYER). Then you can tell if it's a good player colliding against a bad fireball, etc. This lets you generalize it also (it normally doesn't matter if it's a good player vs bad fireball, or bad player vs good fireball, so you can just check to see if the fireball and player that collided have different faction values).

Small edit: If you really just have 2 players and up to 30 fireballs, you probably won't run into any performance issues with the way you're doing it, and it might not be worth changing unless you run into problems.
Arkeus
Site Admin

Postby Ats » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:37 pm

Thanks for your quick response. I'll dig into entities VS entities.
I didn't know that those kind of collision tests were working for sprites inside groups inside groups.
Ats
Master Sergeant

Postby jezzliam » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:56 am

The new version looks great. its fun.
I don't have to be careful, I've got a gun. :D
Matt Groening cheap knives
jezzliam
Private

Postby Thesis25 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:06 am

Hi everyone.

Recently I decided to port my "Dragon Ball Z Devolution" game to AS3:
http://www.txori.com/index.php?static5/dbzdevolution
(I recommend you to click on the Dragon Ball in the title during the disclaimer, just after the loading, for unlocking everything)

I've entirely made it with Flash8 and I think I pushed the old actionscript to his limits. While the game is working perfectly, there are several things that I would like to improve such as particles and camera behaviours. Plus, Flash8 is kind of dead now... So after some research, I decided to rewrite it using AXEL.

As I'm discovering this great framework, I'll have some questions for you when I'll stumble on difficulties while advancing in the development.

My first interogation is concerning the camera. If you try the game , you'll see that the camera keeps zooming to the action. I made that by putting all the sprites into a GameContainer clip which I'm scaling depending on the opponents' distance.

Now how can I recreate that kind of camera using AXEL?
I already played with the Ax.zoom but the zoom jumps from x2 to x3 to x4 abruptly, and it is also affecting the user interface on top of the screen... So in order to make a good start, what should I do to handle the camera zoom under AXEL in order to recreate what I've made with clip and scale?

Thanks for your advices!

I want to suggest that if you have some problem in dragon ball game then you can find on website which give right solution for ....it give some instructions step by step which you can easily understand and follow it.....

Thesis25
Private

Previous

Return to Work In Progress