Ludum Dare 24

Chat about anything having to do with Axel here.

Ludum Dare 24

Postby Arkeus » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:23 pm

Ludum Dare 24 is next weekend, is anyone going to participate? And is anyone going to participate using Axel? ;)

If you don't know what LD is, it's a 48 hour game making competition. Starting friday night and ending sunday night (48 hours total) you must create a game completely from scratch. Afterwards, people who entered play and rate others' games and at the end the winners are crowned. There is also a "jam" in addition to the competition, with more lenient rules (can work in groups, you have 72 hours, etc). If you're interested, check it out here.

I used to use Flixel before I made Axel (and actual used it last time too since I have another long running project I'm working on that is in Flixel). However, this time around I'm going to be using Axel. Hopefully I'll be able to find some places where the library could get some improvements. If any of you end up using it and run into blocks where you think the library should be changed, please make a post in the suggestions forum! I can't promise anything during the competition (I'll be working hard that weekend) but some of your suggestions may make it into the next version.

And if you do enter with Axel, make sure to post your entry here!
Arkeus
Site Admin

Re: Ludum Dare 24

Postby wgfunstorm » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:22 am

I actually tried it last LD, but I find it hard to pick up a new engine and produce something useful in such a short time frame so I just used it as an excuse to learn a little more about Axel. I remember I wasted quite a bit of time trying to figure out how to directly manipulate a texture like I would do with FlxSprite.pixels because I wanted to have a mini planet bitmapdata that I draw new objects onto as it evolves (like I would do using FlxSprite.stamp) and the mapping textures to quad threw me off.

Anyways, I do still need a flixel replacement for projects I want to run on mobile though, and I like a lot of Axel's features like the state management that Starling lacks so I'll take it for a spin again but I'll try and come up with a game design that takes better advantage of Axel's built-in features and requires less exotic custom stuff.
wgfunstorm
Corporal

Postby wgfunstorm » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:42 pm

Did you end up making anything? I chickened out and went with flixel again and after a series of disasters only ended up with a procedural island generator.
wgfunstorm
Corporal

Postby Arkeus » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:04 pm

I ended up making The Legend of Elzad: http://axgl.org/f/evo/
Arkeus
Site Admin

Return to General Chat