OUYA

Chat about anything having to do with Axel here.

OUYA

Postby Toth » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:25 am

Hi everyone^^

My OUYA has just arrived yersterday and today i was trying to port the AxBasic, everything was going okay, untill i tried to set the render mode to GPU, in the direct mode it works, but with the render setted to GPU the game just dont run x.x'

Thanks!
Toth
Private

Re: OUYA

Postby Arkeus » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:17 am

As far as I know, direct is the only mode you want to use, and it will use the GPU if it is available.
Arkeus
Site Admin

Postby Toth » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:40 am

Ohh i see^^

Thanks for the quick answer.

I was reading some posts in the OUYA dev forum, and someone said about "direct is better if using something like starling"
So i wanted to test all the other ways with Axel.

@arkeus: Do you have any plans to make or port your games to OUYA? I think that Axel would be a great option to work on OUYA.
Toth
Private

Postby Arkeus » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:56 pm

Toth wrote:Ohh i see^^

Thanks for the quick answer.

I was reading some posts in the OUYA dev forum, and someone said about "direct is better if using something like starling"
So i wanted to test all the other ways with Axel.

@arkeus: Do you have any plans to make or port your games to OUYA? I think that Axel would be a great option to work on OUYA.

Yeah, definitely. I don't know which ones, or if I'd do it for new ones (I definitely want to make Diamond Hollow 3 in Axel and make it Ouya compatible). And doing it would help me improve Axel to make it more friendly towards working with Ouya (I'm sure there's some things that could be improved in terms of making it easier to develop for a console-like system).

In terms of the original question, and regarding "direct is better if using something like starling", I think they meant that direct is what you use when using stage3d (starling is just the most popular stage3d library). And since axel uses stage3d in the same way, it's the way to go when using Axel (I think it's the only way that embedded flash games using Axel will work on the web, though I'm not sure about air/mobile, since my experience with that so far is very limited).
Arkeus
Site Admin

Postby Toth » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:53 am

Wow, sure, a new Diamon Hollow running in Ouya would be great^^

I was talking with my friends yesterday, and i came to a thought that , Axel will be the best option for our next titles, beacuse its familiar structure ( i use flixel nowdays ) and the great advantage of Stage3D. And i'm sure that will ensure a good performance for mobiles, and even in Ouya's Tv resolution.

Now, the original question XD
So, targeting the render mode to GPU actually works to use "display list", and if you are going to use Stage3D in any way, what you need to use its the Direct right?
Toth
Private

Postby Arkeus » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:49 am

Toth wrote:So, targeting the render mode to GPU actually works to use "display list", and if you are going to use Stage3D in any way, what you need to use its the Direct right?

Yeah, if you want to use stage3D, you must use "direct" (otherwise stage3d will simply fail to initialize).

I'm still not fully clear on what "gpu" does, but it sounds like it simply tries to hardware accelerate some things in old-style flash (as you mentioned, display lists), and can help if you have a lot of things things like animations. It sounds like it's really dependent on your game on whether gpu or cpu will give you better performance.
Arkeus
Site Admin

Postby lukasmit » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:33 am

That's good ! :D
lukasmit
Private

Return to General Chat