Found a typo in the Flash Builder Hello World Tutorial

Discuss official tutorials here.

Found a typo in the Flash Builder Hello World Tutorial

Postby KunoNoOni » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:29 am

It was probably a small overcite but here it is.

"Once it completes, you'll have a zip file of Flex. We're going to want to extra it somewhere we'll remember. For this tutorial, I'm going to use C:\Flex\. So pick a location, and extract the entire contents of the zip file to that directory."

I believe you meant to say "extract".

-KunoNoOni
KunoNoOni
Corporal

Re: Found a typo in the Flash Builder Hello World Tutorial

Postby Arkeus » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:24 pm

Oops, thanks! Will get it fixed soon.

If anyone notices issues with any of the tutorials, please feel free to point them out. I didn't have the energy to really proofread them once I was done.
Arkeus
Site Admin

Postby KunoNoOni » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:23 pm

Think I found some another ones.

"The first thing we want to do is to include the Axel library in our project so we can create our Hello World game. Visit the Download Page and grab the latest stable version of Axel. After downloading, you'll want to extract the org and com folders and place them in your src directory in Flash Builder. The easiest way to do this is to simply drag the org and com folders from the Axel file you downloaded and extracted onto the src folder in the Flash Builder window. Once you've done this, if you expand the org and axgl folders, your project window should now look like:"

I just copied the org and the com folder over but in FB its listed as org.axgl. In my src folder I see com and org/axgl. So it is possible there is a configuration setting I may have set that displays mine differently from what you have.

"The only thing we did other than change the bracket style is to add a trace("Hello World!"); to the contructor (function Main). Now, the next step will be test your project this far. In the menu, go to Project -> Run Configurations. On the left side, you should see your project as Main under the Web Application section. If it's not selected already, click it. On the right you will see the project name (Hello World FB), and the application file should say src/Main.as. What we need to do is to tell Flash Builder to run your program using the flash debugger. Uncheck Use default under URL or path to launch. Now click Browse.... Navigate to the bin-debug folder within your project (by default you should already be there), and double click Main.swf. Now click Apply and click Run. If you get a blank white Adobe Flash Player 11 window pop up, congratulations! If it doesn't work, then you'll need to ugprade your flash player debugger."

I'm using version 4.5 of FB, Under Project I do not see Run Configurations. I can access them from the little black arrow next to the green circle with the white arrow in it. Also after going into Run Configurations I didn't initially see Main listed on the left hand side. Even after saving the project it still was not there, it did show up AFTER I ran the project though...

Edit: I can also access Run Configurations from Run -> Run Configurations

"Now let's talk a little bit about what this code does. At the top we're importing the classes that we're going to use. Inside of our state, the first thing we do is override the create method. This is called when the state is created. There are only two thing we want to do when the state is created: Change the background color and add our text. We change the background color to black (AxColor takes in the red, blue, and green components from 0 - 1, so 0, 0, 0 ends up as block) so that we can see our text, which by default is white. The next thing we do is add an AxText object to the screen. The first two arguments are the position, so here we are adding our text to x = 10, y = 10, where 0, 0 is in the upper left corner. The third argument is which AxFont to use. We are passing null, telling it to use the default built in font. The four argument is the string we want to display, which is, of course, Hello World!"

Should be "ends up as black", and "The fourth argument".

-KunoNoOni
KunoNoOni
Corporal

Postby Arkeus » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:04 pm

Awesome! I've made the changes and uploaded a fixed version. Thank you!
Arkeus
Site Admin

Return to Official Tutorials